To get to the airport to go home I have to take a bus to Santiago and then take another bus from the bus terminal in Santiago to the airport. I bought my bus ticket to Santiago today. I leave at one o'clock on Friday.
It was a strange feeling, buying that ticket. I've known for months that I would quit the country on the fourth of December. I've known my flight is at 11:40 at night. But I haven't felt like I was leaving until I bought my bus ticket. As I walked away from the bus station it sank in: I'm going home on Friday, December 4th. I wasn't expecting the feeling to wash over me so suddenly.
Things I have not done in three months:
Drank Mt. Dew or Pabst
Watched football
Eaten at La Rockita (formerly La Roca)
Seen or acted in a play
Texted unlimitedly
Driven a car
Heard the voices of my family and friends
Understood everything that a stranger said
Pet a cat
Washed my own clothes
Had a job
Gone to church
Spoken one language for a whole day
There are many more things in Corvallis that I have missed. The interesting thing about all of those is that I managed to live without them. What a powerful idea: I can take my life, turn it inside out, and be okay. I can be more than fine; I can thrive. How many people feel comfortable with that idea?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment